CALL TO BOOK: (253) 213-4853

Mold in the home is a stressful problem that can be disruptive to your life. You may have heard stories of people who became very sick because of mold in the home and had to spend thousands fixing the problem. Learn the signs of mold in the home so that you can catch it before it becomes dangerous.

Signs of Mold in the Home

1. Visible Mold

The most obvious sign that you have mold growing in your home is that you will be able to see it. Mold prefers warm, humid environments, so it’s common to find it in your kitchen, bathroom, and basement. These areas should be the first place you look for mold growth. Mold looks like dark spots or streaks and can appear in a variety of colors.

2. Musty Odors are Signs of Mold in the Home

Mold puts off a musty odor. If you notice this scent in certain parts of your house, then it could be one of the signs of mold in the home. This isn’t always the most reliable way to detect mold, however. Not all mold has a smell, so you should actively look for other signs of mold in the home.

3. You Constantly Feel Like You Have a Cold or the Flu

Most people have been warned about the health problems that black mold can cause. This fungus has been shown to negatively impact people’s health and can lead to serious illness. However, this isn’t the only type of mold that can cause health problems.

Any mold growing in your home can have negative health impacts. If you are allergic to mold in general, some of the symptoms you might experience include itchy, watery eyes, coughing, sneezing, headaches, fatigue, and breathing problems.

Determine if mold in your home is making you sick by spending some time in another location. Go to a hotel or a friend’s house for a few nights. If your symptoms seem to improve, then it is likely that mold is causing your issues.

What to Do When You Find Signs of Mold in the Home

DIY Mold Cleanup

Should you discover any of the signs of mold in the home, the next step is to find a way to get rid of it. If you decide to clean it up yourself, make sure you do this correctly. Cleaning up mold with bleach may work, depending on the type of surface the mold is growing on.

Bleach works best when mold is growing on non-porous surfaces such as tile, glass, or metal. If you find mold on drywall, wood, or other porous surfaces, you’ll want to look for a special mold cleaner or call a professional. It is important to wear protective gear when cleaning up mold.

Call in a Professional

The best course of action you can take when you find signs of mold in the home is to call in a professional. They will know exactly what to do to get rid of the mold safely and effectively.

Dealing with mold can be stressful. However, once you have pinpointed the signs of mold, you can develop a plan of action.

In-Depth 360 Home Inspection Services serves the Puget Sound area with home inspection services and mold testing. Contact us to schedule an appointment in Southwest Washington.